PCOS: Uses of oral contraceptives for Polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms
“Oral contraceptive pills have been a big boon to women in this century”
Oral contraceptives — Oral contraceptive pills (a combination of estrogen and progestin) are most commonly used as a treatment for regulating the menstrual period cycle in women having PCOS. Usage of oral contraceptives protects the woman from uterine (uterus) hyperplasia and cancer by regulating the monthly menstrual cycle. Oral contraceptives are also effective in treating hirsutism and acne.
Oral contraceptive pills, which are also known as hormonal medicines, can be consumed to prevent pregnancy. This is one of the most common methods of birth control. If the consumption of these pills is right, it is up to 99.9% effective. It is very important to remember – the pill does not shield one from contracting sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV (AIDS). Oral contraceptive pills (birth control pills) are meant for women who want to avoid pregnancy.
Women having Polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms ovulate irregularly. The use of oral contraceptives helps in providing control over pregnancy. Although the Oral contraceptive pills allow bleeding once a month, they do not cure PCOS; irregular cycles mostly return when the use of oral contraceptives is stopped.
How do oral contraceptive pills work?
A woman can conceive when an egg that is released from her ovary (the organ that produces and holds the eggs) is fertilized by a man’s sperm. The fertilized egg implants itself in the endometrium (the inner lining) of a woman’s womb (uterus), where it gets nourished, matures and grows into a baby. A woman’s body comprises of hormones that control the discharge of the egg from the ovary which is often known as ovulation.
Oral contraceptive pills contain a small amount of artificial estrogen and progestin hormones. These hormones work to obstruct the natural cyclical hormones of the body in order to control pregnancy. Pregnancy is controlled by several factors that are combined. The hormonal contraceptive generally halts the process of ovulation. One of the major benefits of birth control pills is to thicken the cervical mucus thereby making it difficult for the sperm to get inside the cervix and find an egg for fertilization. Use of oral contraceptives can also control pregnancy by altering the lining of the uterus, which makes it difficult for an egg to be implanted.
Few eggs grow faster than others. If a woman who wants to conceive consumes oral contraceptive pills, she will see the erratic type of eggs growing. Before conception, if a woman Uses oral contraceptives pills it will help her a lot for a few months to stabilize the formation of eggs and fertilizing those eggs faster.
There are additional benefits of birth control pills for Polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms, apart from the control over pregnancy. The use of oral contraceptives is considered a major boon because they have so many advantages for women with Polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms. The benefits of birth control pills can clearly be seen in this contemporary time; it has given wings to the women to fly high and achieve their goals. Because, now women don’t have to worry about staying at home due to heavy bleeding, painful periods, not being able to control fertility or being capable of conceiving a baby. Erratic periods lead to excessive blood loss, subsequently resulting in a huge drop in the hemoglobin level. The usage of oral contraceptives pills can also help in reducing the heavy blood loss. Women suffering from erratic periods tend to bleed like a tap for 2 to 3 months. Consumption of oral contraceptive pills can reduce heavy blood loss. Another major benefit of the birth control pill is that it is very effective for the pain in periods.
The other benefits of birth control pills include their constructive effect on various Polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms that women suffer from, such as:
- Excessive Acne
- Hirsutism (male pattern hair growth – excessive hair growth on face)
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Control over pregnancy
- Ability to conceive a baby
Use of oral contraceptives for women with Polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms:
- One of the most important Uses of oral contraceptives is in the case of a woman who has high male hormones. The oral contraceptive pills help in bringing the high androgens down. It lessens them and improves the chance of conceiving and fertilizing an egg later.
- The use of oral contraceptives also helps for cosmetic reasons. In this aspect, consumption of birth control pills works best for those women and young girls (in the 18-20 age range) who focus more on their looks. Oral contraceptive pills are most commonly used by adolescents for cosmetic reasons. The major benefit of the birth control pill is that acne disappears within 3 months and the flawless skin is attained and retained.
- Another benefit of birth control pills consumption is that it helps tackle the problem of Hirsutism (male pattern hair growth – excessive hair growth on the fact) which is a Polycystic ovary syndrome symptom. The complete removal of hair takes few months because hair itself grows in 6-9 months. Therefore, you can see the results only after 9 months.
- Forming a better lining of the uterus is one of the major benefits of birth control pills. If you see the ultrasound of a woman with an irregular period cycle on the 4th or 5th day of her periods, you will find that the lining of her uterus is very thick (maybe 6-7mm, and sometimes even 8mm). The Consumption of oral contraceptive pills can prevent this.
- On reviewing the ultrasound of the woman who gets regular periods every month, you will notice that on the 4th or 5th day of her periods the lining of the uterus is less then 5mm. The oral contraceptive pills allow the formation of the egg to happen in that particular cycle. Usage of Oral contraceptives for forming a better lining in uterus and for a regular period cycle is quite common.
- One of the major benefits of oral contraceptive pills is that they help to normalize the cycle of egg growth every month. Otherwise, women who have PCOS get their periods in a break of 2-3 months.
- By consuming oral contraceptive pills, a woman with PCOS will be able to fertilize an egg faster when she wants to get pregnant as it helps to keep her hormones in check and also reduce the male hormones (androgens).
Effects of Oral Contraceptive pills on the Polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms: contraceptives are, after all, hormonal tablets which are considered extremely safe if taken under the right guidance. But if you consume OCP’s without any guidance, there can be several other problems linked to Polycystic ovary syndrome symptoms, which can cause further complications. So, it is always recommended to seek doctors’ advice before the consumption of oral contraceptive pills. Use of Oral contraceptives should always be made under medical guidance as the consumption of pills is for a long period. If the consumption duration would have been for a period of 1-2 months it is fine, but if you are consuming it for a long period you need to undergo medical guidance, never take it on your own. And be sure that it’s the right drug for you.